Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Barley / lentil / lima bean / black bean thing















I love this combination. I haven't made it in a while, but I decided to make it last night since I knew I was going to be donating blood today. There are times that I've tried to donate but my iron was too low, and lentils have a good source of iron. And it seemed to have worked, the guy said my iron was very good!

Anyhow, dish is made in the slow cooker. The recipe takes equal parts of pearl barley and lentils (any kind really), however much lima beans you want, and however much black beans you want. For the beans, I usually use about a quarter of the amount I use for the barley and lentils. So, just get all those ingredients together, add a bunch of cumin, paprika, garlic cloves or chopped garlic, a few slices of onions, and a few tablespoons of olive oil. Chicken stock is really good in this too, but I stopped using it because I realized the chicken stock I've been using has MSG! So, the really tricky part about this recipe is figuring out how much water to put in. I usually just eyeball it, I really need to start writing down exactly how much dry ingredients I put in and how much wet ingredients I put in. So, once you put the water in, put everything in the slow cooker and let it cook overnight. My slow cooker is very cheap and only has 2 options, low and high, and I usually go with high.

The final product looks like the picture below. I understand that this probably doesn't look appealing to many people, but it's delicious.


Side note: this recipe originates from "Chamim" or "Cholent" or "Shchena"... the Jewish dish made in the slow cooker and served on Saturdays. This is a vegetarian version though. Usually chamim is more tomato-y and has beef and eggs.

No comments: